Monday, July 24, 2006

I Had A Dream
The famous people list

So, I had one of my rare dreams last night. Yeah, I know, psychologists will tell you that everyone dreams every night, but I don't. If I did, I would remember them, right? Ok, so last night was the exception. Here is the really important dream.

I somehow got into the Academy Awards, by knowing that they had changed the location, and getting in before they closed the doors to the public.
You see, in my dreams, the Academy Awards are just held in a convention center somewhere.
I said 'I', but I meant 'we'. There were 5 of us. I remember that much distinctly. But the only other person in that 5 that I can remember was my Mother-in-Law. (Hi Mom).

There was a rather panicked incident backstage with a lost iPod, until it was determined that the iPod had been lost when we were all at home, not at the convention center. Yes, my life works like that in my dreams too.
Then we get into the buffet.
And this is the important part.
In my dream world, every famous person in Hollywood shows up before the Oscars to a big buffet to eat steam table food on banquet tables. While I was in line waiting for the tongs to pick up some sort of chicken croquet, I was getting pushed along by John Goodman. He was poking me in the ribs telling me to hurry up. When I got my food and sat down, I was doing the starstruck routine, and the other people with me were shocked that I had never met a famous person before, or that I didn't know as many as my wife (who knows everyone).

So here, for the record, is a list of every famous person I can remember meeting.

Roma Downey. Met her once at one of the wife's adoption gigs.
Mark Eaton. Same thing.
Kathy Lee Gifford. All I can say is that she doesn't treat her staff very well. Oh. And she has personal staff to carry her crap and watch her kids.
Regis. Shook his hand, and that's about it. He seems every bit as nice in person as on T.V. I think he's the celebrity that I wish I could have got to know better.
Dave Wakeling. (of the English Beat and General Public) I like him. He seems comfortable all the time. Even when meeting smitten fans. I just noticed that it says the same thing about him on his website, so, there you go.

[Edit]
Ken Jennings. I met him at a book signing and then exchanged a few blog entries and emails with him. He doesn't get my sense of humor. I'll still put him second on my list of celebs I wish I'd gotten to know better.
[/Edit]

Near misses:
Ian McCulloch (Echo and the Bunnymen) Shared an airplane with him once in about 1990. I mentioned him to my traveling companion, a little too loud, and he turned around and gave me a dirty look. Come on, guy, get over yourself. How many people would have recognized you. Even in 1990.
Irena Slutskaya. She was posing for snapshots while I was waiting in line at the Olympics. She's really cute.

I suppose I should try to write a list of famous people that my wife has met, but really what would be the point. She has met Oprah. What else is there after that?

2 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Blogger Lex said...

I met Barry Manilow on an SLC flight, whom my Mom begged to get an autograph from. How pathetic is that?

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home