Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I (heart) Airplanes

The promised ode to aircraft.


My brother and I were talking about wierd aircraft one day and he noted that there are web contests to name unusual aircraft. I found a source for these wierd pictures and this is one of the few that I was able to identify before Eric.

The rest of them are here.

Mystery meat


My big brother Aaron/Dave was at the show at MHAFB, when Thunderbird #6 had an unscheduled egress.
BTW, my buddy CJ went to the Academy with this pilot. I remember asking him about how things went for him afterwards, but I have no earthly recollection of what his answer was. CJ?


Speaking of CJ.



This horrifying video gives me the shakes, but moreso after CJ told me that the pilot in this mishap had been warned repeatedly not to perform this and a few other dangerous manuevers in the BUFF. Unfortunately, he and three other souls paid the ultimate price for his machismo.

This report, while rather long, explains how this happened.


Since I switched jobs I haven't been flying. Haven't set foot on-board in 3 months now. But if I ever get nostalgic for the good old days, I can use this screen saver.
(In fact, I've installed it at work.)


It took me a while, but I finally found my beloved Blue Angels video. Forgive me for saying so, but I think I liked the A-4s better.

P.s. The picture above is photoshopped. But keep looking. The real picture is pretty amazing as well.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Lex said...

The black and white airplane picture looks like a altered B-17 Flying Fortress. The four engines taken off, and the nose gun replaced with a single engine. N'est ce pas?

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Thayne Forbes said...

Oui.

Modified twice, actually. The Army was testing a 5 engined version of the B-17. Then some photoshopper modified it again to remove the wing engines.

Good eye, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home