Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Idle Thoughts

Hey, I'm man enough to admit that I watch American Idol every week. And enjoy it. And I'm man enough to admit that I miss the Wednesday morning recaps I used to have with my boss, Dave. But since my wife thinks I'm unqualified to form an opinion on music, I'll have to inflict my opinions on you, my dear readers. And just for fun, I'm going to steal liberally from other Idol blogs, because there are a few people out there who are nastier AND funnier than me.

Allison Iraheta sang "Don't Want To Miss A Thing"
"You know I would scrub Allison's dirty panties in the sink if she asked me to, but even her voice couldn't save that wreck!" (Michael K). Yeah. That's how I feel too. I LOVE Alison. And I love Aerosmith. But these two things do NOT go together. I think she did a good enough job to stay on the show another week, but that's about it.

Anoop Desai sang “Everything I Do”
As Michael K says, this guys has a voice like a tall glass of cold Silk Soymilk. For me, I wonder if even Brian Adams could have stayed awake during that performance. This guys is just increasingly boring. And the really sad thing about that is he could have been an older, cooler Sanjaya. If this guy actually makes an album, I won't even bother to steal it off the internet.

Adam Lambert sang "Born to be Wild"
In spite of a voice that would have been annoying on a 80s hair metal band, I will admit that Adam will be the winner or at worst, second place in the competition this year.

Danny Gokey sang "Endless Love"
Danny tried every trick in the book to play the 'widower' card, short of singing to a life sized cutout of his dearly departed wife. It will probably work. I'll be glad to get to next week, though, when the theme will be Disco. Yes, I said Disco.

Kris Allen “Falling Slowly”
Matt Giraud "To Really Love A Woman"
Both Matt and Kris gave performances so boring that I can't even find any blogs that have anything bad to say about them. I do note that most blogs think these two and Lil Rounds will be in the bottom three with predictions on who is going home split between Matt and Lil. Oh, I just found a nasty comment by the Vulture at New York Magazine. They said "Kris sang flat for two whole minutes, delivering what was unquestionably the episode's worst performance." I wouldn't know. I fell asleep.

Lil Rounds sang "The Rose"
Ken Levine said "For weeks Simon has been trying to zero in on just what kind of singer she is. I can tell you that. Background." That may be a little more harsh than my feelings, but it a really good singer like Melinda Doolittle (had to look up her name) can be forgotten after a great season on Idol, then there is no future for Lil. (insert sad face here)

Because of last weeks show going long and everyone in the country missing the last 4 minutes of the show (except the 3 people in the country who actually watch the show live) the judging was switched up to just two judges per performance. It still didn't work and most people missed Lil Rounds back-sassing Simon. Next week I recommend that they limit Ryan Seacrest's Liberace entrance to 3 minutes to keep the show on schedule. And don't let Paula spout her Vicodin-fueled gibberish at all. Let's just take a stopwatch and time her dancing to each performance, and call that a critique.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home