Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm SIMURE

If I recall correctly, it was my innagural blog post where I said that my life is never dull.  My professional life, in particular.  In that post I told how I was accidentally hired as a Windows System Administrator.  Earily similar to how I got married, but that's another post altogether.

Yesterday, for reasons I can't quite articulate, I got dressed and went to work, anticipating a few long conversations with my boss about the possibility of lay-offs.  To my disappointment, he was working from home and I was left with the double insult of no one to talk to, and no one to go to breakfast with.  Eventually, after my first con-call and empty coffee cup, I started off to the cafeteria, on the lookout for someone to eat with.  (An increasingly difficult prospect these days, as there are usually only about 4 people in the office on any particular day.)  I bumped into 'Josh', not his real name, who is a moderately important boss.  He said, "Did you hear the news", which I assumed meant a pink slip in my future.  He continued, "You need to go to your cube, pack up everything and go home".  Well, it was only a matter of time, really.

As it turns out, I was wrong.  There has been an ongoing struggle with air quality in one of the segregated call centers upstairs which had taken a dramatic turn for the worse yesterday. Several people were sent to the nurse's office or sent home.  When I walked past, there were 5 people in the hallway outside the nurses station waiting.  The company declared a facilities alert, (which most of us didn't know existed), and decided to commandeer all of the cubicles in my area, and send us all home.  As it happens, the affected group upstairs requires secured space, and ours was the only secure space available in the building.  Of course, available is a relative concept, but they decided it was high time they kicked us all out and sent us home.  Which is good, really, because I was having a hard time keeping that pothos plant in my cubicle alive, when I only went in once a week.

So today is my first OFFICIAL work-from-home day, and now that the kids are at school, I think I will commemorate this important occasion by taking my clothes off and working in my underwear.

I'm SIMURE.

1 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You need to go to your cube, pack up everything and go home"

Seriously? He says THIS in these trying economic times?? There oughta be a law.

Glad it was just a toxic air problem. Uh...

- wry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home