Monday, February 13, 2006

Never Dull

The IT business is many things, but for me, it is never dull. This last month has been noteworthy. Consider the case of the accidental job.

I was working with a recruiter for Unisys in December, and she had a job doing automated systems monitoring and scripting. Sounds like a job made for me. When I got my telephone interview, the person who was doing the tech screen was from the Windows group, so we talked a lot about fixing Windows. A mere 4 weeks later I got an offer letter and on Jan. 23rd I started the job. They walked me in and set me down and we talked about getting trouble cases out of the queue and closing them and such. Mind you, this is the WINDOWS Incident Queue.
Now, not wanting to make waves, and being thankful to have a job, I didn't complain. But three weeks into the job, the pressure of the job was getting to me. I had a followup interview scheduled with the boss, to discuss my coming on board process, so at the end of the interview I brought up the issue of the apparent bait-and-switch .

Footnote
OK, the first part of this interview was mostly the boss telling me to quit worrying because my case closure numbers are right on target and I'm already doing better that some recently-former employees.
So, the boss literally has no idea what I'm talking about. But he agrees to go to the big boss and figure it out. The Big Boss was not aware of the problem either, but she looks at the job that I described and figures out that it is for another department, who just happens to have an unfilled personel requisition. Hmmm.

So she agrees to forward my contact information to the correct manager, and I happily promise to lick her feet if she will let me go.

Stay tuned.

Oh. And an hour after that happened, my buddy in SEA called and offered me a job.

It's never dull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home