Monday, November 30, 2009

iPhun

If you dear readers can refrain from judging me, for a moment, I'll let you in on a little secret. I have switched two of my oldest loyalties in the last month. I have given up on LG and Verizon and bought an iPhone on the AT&T network. Hey. I said don't judge me.


The truth is, I still love LG and Verizon, but I was not able to receive signal at my new home on the Verizon network, so I was forced to change to AT&T, and since they offer a basic iPhone for $99, how could I say no?


Since then I have tried not to be an insufferable fan-boy of the iPhone, but it's so hard to do, given that there is just so much awesomeness packed into this little gizmo. I was trying to explain it to my mother and the only metaphor I could come up with is that it is like a Tricorder on Star Trek. Whenever you need some techy thing done to support the plot, you reach for the Tricorder. You want an example, you say? Here's one.


Last Friday I was driving in Boise, and it was raining heavily and my wiper blades had gone to the point where the one on the passenger side was useless. I needed replacements, and now! So I pulled off the road, whipped out the iPhone and accessed the 'AroundMe' app. I typed in "auto parts" and it informed me that I had just passed Bow Wow Auto Parts on Emerald, and that it was 196 yards away. And wouldn't you know it, Bow Wow specializes in European brands, so they had a factory replacement for my Jetta wiper blades.


I felt like Mr. Spock.






Last week I promised a regular blog feature that I am naming Bacon Tuesdays. This week I'm promising another regular feature that I guess I'll have to call IPhone Monday. Now all of you who have iPhones, go download AroundMe. The rest of you, spend a minute to contemplate how much more awesome your life would be with a Tricorder.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home